"Pure, moving, cinematic, unearthly beautiful!", Rootstime, Belgium
Yagullthe official website
Sasha Markovic - guitar Kana Kamitsubo - piano
featuring special guests
Dewa Budjana - guitar / Beledo - lute, guitar / Marko Djordjevic - drums and percussion / Anthony Mullin - guitar
Lori Reddy - flute / Jackson Kincheloe - harmonica / Wen Chang - violin / Gabriel Nat - clarinet
Yoshiki Yamada - double bass / Eylon Tushiner - sax / Sonia Choi - cello/ Josh Margolis - drums
Yagull is New York post rock chamber project featuring composer/ guitarist Sasha Markovic and pianist extraordinaire/ composer Kana Kamitsubo. Following the success of critically acclaimed album "films", the couple recorded the new material with a help of the fantastic line up of guest musicians hailing from eight different countries including fellow MoonJune international recording artists Beledo, Dewa Budjana, and Marko Djordjevic. The second album named after their son Kai born during the period of writing and producing the record, is now available on MoonJune Records. The couple is back to studio working on their new album set to release in early 2018.
Yagull "Kai" (Moonjune, 2015)
Yagull’s second CD, their debut for MoonJune Records, “Kai,” represents big musical and personal changes for group founder, composer, producer, and guitarist, Sasha Markovic. Yagull has officially became a duo with the addition of Sasha’s most challenging collaborator up until this time, pianist extraordinaire Kana Kamitsubo. Sasha and Kana’s partnership went further as they became husband and wife. Album “Kai” and the title track are named after their son born in 2014.
Picking up where the last Yagull CD, “Films” left off in 2012, “Kai” expands the post rock chamber soundtrack concept exploring new structures written around acoustic guitar, bass, percussion and acoustic piano. Yagull as a duo has an increased crossover potential for attracting listeners that may not be dialed into any of the specific genres baked into this release.
Yagull delivers eight brand new compositions, two tunes from "Films" revisited ( Dark, Sound Of M ) plus two covers for this sophomore release. The tracks range from "North" which exploits Kana's mastery of creating evocative mood and space for Sasha to play, folksy "Z-Parrow" while "Omniprism" drifts into progressive rock ambiance. Methenyesque tune “Blossom”, leaves space for special guest Dewa Budjana to shine with another beautiful, lyrical solo. The title track for their son emotes a melody that can easily go alongside "Waltz for Debby" by Bill Evans in any play list.Sasha once again wears his affection for classic rock as a badge reworking the Free song, "Wishing Well," which was also passionately performed by the late Gary Moore, as well as Deep Purple’s “Burn”. Beledo’s majestic lute introduction pays a homage to Deep Purple’s live version from the "Made In Europe" record.
The duo are also joined by several guest musicians, the extraordinary and diverse line up hailing from eight different countries, including fellow Moonjune international recording artists Beledo (guitar), Dewa Budjana (guitar) and Marko Djordjevic (drums), as well as the long time collaborator flutist Lori Reddy, Anthony Mullin from The Blackfires (guitar), Jackson Kincheloe from Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds ( harmonica ), Gabriel Nat (clarinet), Wen Chang (violin) and Yoshiki Yamada (upright bass). “Kai” has set Yagull on a journey that will appeal to wide range of listeners. This is essential MoonJune music.
Yagull "films" (zozemusic/ distributed by MoonJune, 2012)
Yagull "films" is written, arranged and produced by composer/ guitarist Sasha Markovic who is joined by an extraordinary group of soloists consisting of Lori Reddy (flute), Eylon Tushiner (sax) and Sonia Choi (cello). The music on "films" appears very cinematic and theme based, but would probably best be described as a "next generation post-rock chamber music." Like an independent film, the moods on "films" move from the dramatically atmospheric to playful. Two classic rock pieces appear in the mix that serve as listener friendly signposts within the landscape. "White Room" by Cream and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" by Black Sabbath are both bravely deconstructed from their iconic forms and melodically reconstructed as dreamy reflective impression pieces. The album closer, "Distance, " brings out the full band sound - featuring soloists Reddy and Choi, and special guest, Josh Margolis, on drums.
Mark Redlefsen ( writer, contributor to All About Jazz )
- "Composer-guitarist Sasha Markovic celebrates Films, a new effort from his Yagull project that shows off his unique chamber-folk compositional style. The disc is aptly named—these super chill yet richly evocative instrumentals achieve a transporting, cinematic quality."
Time Out New York
- "films" is a dark and somber affair, acoustic in nature with a strong flair for chamber/folk music
SEA OF TRANQUILITY, USA
- It's an acoustic album of great depth and beauty...Yagull's version of White Room has to be heard to be believed
KEVIN ROWLAND, SILHOBBIT, UK
- Lyrical, sweet and tender, this music is very evocative... A CD of beautiful music, deep and well played. What more?
MICHEL BEDIN, ON TOP AUDIO, FRANCE
- The beast is beautiful in Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
TOMA JAZZ, SPAIN
- Sensual and sensational! A Big Apple instrumental collective project a magic light onto a mind screen
DMITRI EPSTEIN, DMME, UK
- Fabulous! The album has evocative feel you get from a film soundtrack. Gorgeous guitar playing.
GAYLE AUSTIN (THE FIRST AUSTRALIAN FEMALE ROCK DJ), CURVED RADIO, AUSTRALIA
- I'm willing to bet Alan Shacklock (Babe Ruth) will shed a wistful tear upon hearing what Sasha's done with the baseline both expressed a pronounced affinity for ...
MARK TUCKER, ACOUSTIC MUSIC, USA
-There is no substitute for beauty, especially when it comes to the music you listen to… this acoustic group offers up some of the most beautiful 21st Century chamber music you’ll ever hear… just scope out East to hear what I’m talking about!
DOCTOR JAZZ, IMPROVIJAZZATON NATION , USA
- Yagull's take on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and White Room struck us with ingenious, spellbinding, acoustic sceneries and dedicated melodies
GUT FEELING MAGAZINE, ISRAEL
- With the album "films" New York guitarist shows that reduced instrumentation, can create a wonderful atmosphere
with a great drive
MUZIK ZIRKUS, GERMANY
- This is one of those discs that do not ever get boring. In some ways it could be called a rock record, even though it is actually mostly made with acoustic instruments...
LATE FOR THE SKY, ITALY
- "films" is a dark, mystical, acoustic journey...
MUZIK AN SICH, GERMANY
- somber yet beautiful guitar-layered instrumental album that is a dark, haunting, beautiful...
THE MUSIC FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM, USA
- Yagull made a fine album. "films" is a daring quest for simplicity. Melancholic and sweet at the same time, the album reminds me of some early seventies prog folk stuff
UNITED MUTATIONS , BELGIUM
-Yagull's rendition of White Room sounds like it was played by unplugged, sombreros wearing Jethro Tull
- Yagull delivers “films,” a chamber acoustic project that’s full of melodies that are at once meaningful and easy to latch on to.
- Delicate, ascetic, strongly illustrative and very sophisticated, "films" requires this kind of album title.
ART ROCK, POLAND
- From melodic and delicate, from playful to mournful, every tune on this album has its place in some imaginaryfilm, and not without a reason.
DISTRITO JAZZ , SPAIN
- Beautiful! 'films" echoes 60's folk rock moods, chamber instrumental sound, with great inputs of each of the players.
NAPALMED, CZECH REPUBLIC
- These "films" have no age restrictions, and they can suit the whole family - every generation will hear something special.
JAZZ QUAD, RUSSIA
- Highly inspiring! ...cross-genre album that features an imaginative content, especially in Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and White Room
- Tasteful intelligent music to dream away on.... Beautiful!
MOORS MAGAZINE, NETHERLANDS
- The album also holds two covers performed in such a way that it really adds value to the originals ( Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, White Room)
BACKGROUND MAGAZINE, NETHERLANDS
- The music of Markovic and his associates deserves a real film...However, it will cost the listener no effort to enjoy this fine music.
- Fantastic album! It could be the soundtrack to a movie with majestic landscapes with large, mountains, plains,snowy tops, rivers and lakes...
- Great post rock chamber music in spirit of Focus, Third Ear Band, Popul Vuh
CHE DRAGON, SOUTH KOREA
- Yagull's album is presenting beautiful moods and calming, dreamy sounds. What the band presents here is indeed well managed and entertaining from beginning to end.
- While moving in the territories almost entirely acoustic, this debut album performed and produced by New York guitarist Sasha Markovic, the leader of Yagull, covers a very extensive spectrum of music: so that embraces the most intimate and melancholic folk, touches the expressive depth of the West Coast sound, stopping brieflyat the elegant structure of the soft-jazz , captures the magic of Celtic culture or magnetism of hypnotic Floydiana, and not failing, at least two occasions, devoting himself to the casual and elegant joke ...
ARTISTS AND BANDS, ITALY